Friday, January 9, 2009

Giant Embroidery

A little over a year ago, I took advantage of a chain-link fence at Maker Faire to show other ways embroidery can be executed, interact with a plane, and how any surface offers up ways to be embroidered. Chain-link fences are particularly enticing.

I have been interested in creating 'Giant Embroidery' for some time. Making embroidery stitches into giant, visually discernable shapes. Embroidery is always thought of as so minute and tiny, that my interest has been about making it bigger. Easier to see. Easier to understand, and less mysterious. Both as art, and as a method for teaching it. I like to use all six strands when I work (not the tradition and considered to be a less refined technique, I suppose) so my stitches appear chunky and the texture isn't lost. While I admire fine lines in thread, I like something to look 'embroidered'. I like to see the hand in it. I like to see the stitches. Embroidery was mysterious to me for such a long time, and the simple fact of understanding how to do it brought me into a tiny world I understood more easily, and I wanted to magnify it to show others.




Rayna Fahey of Radical Cross Stitch in Melbourne, Australia, has also been inspired by fences for political messages and outside art installations. "Fence Weaving" by wrapping wool yarn around areas of the fence to spell out site-specific messages and political, group commentary. Wonderfulness.

Revolutionary Craft Circle Fence Weaving

also see:
Giant Isolated Chain Stitch
Fence Embroidery
Lace Fence