Thursday, February 5, 2009

Bill Hicks - Ars Longa, Vita Brevis Est

Several of my very good friends have been contacting me in the last week to let me know that David Letterman aired the previously censored routine Bill Hicks performed on "Late Night With David Letterman" many years ago, shortly before his death.

Realizing my portrait of Hicks isn't anywhere on my site (which is currently being re-built) I thought I'd post it here, although additional work to this piece has since taken place. It measures 28" x 23" and is difficult to photograph or scan due to its size. The words embroidered are the last two stanzas of a poem Hick's wrote, which was unpublished at the time this piece was created (special thanks to Charlie Sotelo for giving me access to his archive of Hicks' letters and writings).

For all who've watched with mounting horror
Evil's reign upon this world grow ever clear
For all who've cried in vain "Emancipators!"
Wielding swords of truth
And laughing without fear.


Link to a Hicks rant (NSFW)
Link to Wikipedia on Bill Hicks