Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Ray Materson

"Andy Pettitte" by Ray Materson

Several weeks ago, I was contacted by renowned embroidery artist Ray Materson. We ended up talking on the phone and it was wonderful to connect with an artist whose work and story I have admired for a long time.

If you are not familiar with Materson's work, please consider getting a copy of his book, Sins and Needles. When I was in Lille, France last year for the Sur le Fil group show, it was the first time I had seen Ray's work in person. I was stunned by the minuteness of his stitching.

Ray also offers custom embroidered portraits. Art is an excellent investment...

Materson and I talked for over an hour, and he told me about a work program for prisoners in the UK called Fine Cell Work (which I'm going to blog about separately).

"Joan of Arc" by Ray Materson

In the meantime, if you are not already with Ray Materson's embroidery work, please be sure to visit his website.