Wednesday, November 24, 2010

About "This Work Never Ends"

This Work Never Ends, by Jenny Hart 2002

I received an email today asking about this piece and its meaning. If you'll indulge my laziness, here is what I said in an interview with My Love For You Is a Stampede of Horses:

One of my very favorite pieces of yours is "This Work, Never Ends." It reminds me of samplers I have inherited from my Great aunt. Can you tell us a little bit about your motivation and inspiration behind that piece?

I made that piece for myself. It was two rectangular doilies, and I stitched "this work" on one and "never ends" on the other. They sat for a long time on the back of my armchair where I used to do a lot of embroidering. It was kind of a message with multiple meanings to myself about how work is never done no matter how you try, and also how embroidery lives on forever and grows and changes.

Link to full interview