Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Mary Woodring's Barking Dog

Ní beithíoch ionnraicthe é, by Mary Woodring

My good friend and fellow stitcher, Mary Woodring, sent me an email the other day with what she's been working on. I asked her if I could share it with my readers. Here's what she said about the piece:
It's an homage to my neighbor's dog, the barkinest dog in creation. The title was suggested by my sister Nora, who lives in the basement apartment downstairs in the same house as the dog: "Ní beithíoch ionnraicthe é," which means "It is not a natural animal, it is a monster." It is 7 3/4" x 9 1/2", white glow-in-the-dark thread on black muslin. And that's not just a random bunch of stars! Jim suggested I do Canis Major.
Mary's piece is part of an upcoming show curated by Pamela Davis of Mucho Design:

Dwelling on the Past
@ Twilight Artist Collective
4306 Southwest Alaska Street
Seattle, WA

Opening Jan 13, 6-9pm
show hangs Jan 13-Feb 7 2011


Related:
Jim Woodring Embroidery Patterns
Glow-in-the-dark thread